ALERT: ‘Locky’ Gaining Momentum…and Victims
This new CryptoLocker strain isn’t more sophisticated than any of the other versions of the malware, but it is spreading rapidly. The FBI has released a statement in a recent Wall Street Journal article, stating that the threat from ransomware is expected to grow exponentially.
Forbes claims that ‘Locky’ CryptoLocker is infecting approximately 90,000 computers per day, and is costing victims approximately .5-1 Bitcoin (approx. $420US) to unlock their systems.
How to Protect Yourself:
- Block any and all emails with .zip extensions and/or macros at your email gateway level.
- Disable Adobe Flash Player, Java, and Silverlight if possible. These are all used as attack vectors.
- Educate your employees and coworkers to the danger, so they can recognize the red flags related to ransomware attacks.
- Check out our Red Flag Emails for clues on how to spot a spam email. Print it, and pass it out to all employees and coworkers so they can post it at their workstation as a reminder.
- Ask us about a Spam Filter for your company. More affordable than you think, and a very reliable way to eliminate 90% of spam from ever entering your inbox!
- Back up your data! Now, more than ever, backups are an everyday essential for every business! Ask us for a FREE quote!