What You Can Do to Prevent It
We’ve seen a huge increase in Ransomware not only in our service area, but around the globe. The processes being used to spread it are getting more and more sophisticated in their delivery.
Ransomware: the future of Malware…and it doesn’t look good.
In the past, Malware would infect your computer and was relatively easy to remove. With Ransomware, the infection is easy to remove. The problem is, by the time you realize you have it, your files are already encrypted and the hackers have issued their demand for ransom. AND, unless you have good, reliable backups…paying the ransom may be the only was to get your files back.
There are a few things you can do to prevent Ransomware, and limit your risk.
- Avoid mapping network shares. If you have to use them, hide them whenever possible. This is sometimes as simple as appending a “$” to your share name.
- Limit permissions. Allow “Read/Write Access Only” when necessary.
- Block extensions via email. A good spam blocker will usually handle this for you. Call TbyD at 1-204-800-3166 to ask us how!
- Install ad blockers when possible. uBlock Origin is a great ad blocker for Chrome and other browsers.
- Educate! Make sure employees and coworkers know about current viruses/malware, and what to look for. Print & post our “Red Flag Emails” for easy reference on what to look for in scam emails.
- Backup. Backup. Backup. Nothing beats a good, reliable backup! Backing up your data now can prevent a lot of expensive headaches in the future.
Call Technology by Design at 1-204-800-3166
We’ll help you immediately, and make sure you’re doing everything possible to avoid becoming a victim!
We Make I.T. Work!